The History & Background of Epicatechin
Epcatechin is a flavonol belonging to the group of flavonoids. Epicatechin is a bioactive compound classed as a flavonol, a plant based phytochemical which is found in a number of foods in trace amounts, including green tea and most famously, dark chocolate. Chocolate, dark chocolate in particular, is rich in flavonoids. Dark chocolate contains the most, and the darker the better with pure cocoa containing the highest amounts of all at nearly 3mg per gram.
Use in Supplements
Epicatechin has been the subject of several studies that have uncovered a host of physiological benefits, including:
- Enhancing muscle growth and strength naturally via a novel pathway
- Increasing nitric oxide production for improved vascularity, blood flow and endurance
- Improving insulin sensitivity, regulating blood sugar levels and stimulating muscle protein synthesis
- Lowering cholesterol levels due to its natural antioxidant properties
- Improving brain and heart health
Both research and empirical usage suggests that epicatechin should be dosed at 1-2mg/kg of bodyweight. Feedback from users suggests that dosing at the higher end, around 150-200mg or more per day, is optimal for those who want to experience its athletic and muscle building benefits. You’d have to consume a lot of chocolate to get those amounts from the diet so supplementation is recommended.
Products Containing Epicatechin
#2: Viva Naturals - The BEST Tasting Certified Organic Cacao Powder Price: $10.92 ($0.68 / ounce) Contains: 1 LB AVG Review: 4.8 stars on Amazon Read More [...] PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Revered as the 'Food of the Gods' for its natural energizing and wholesome properties, cacao is renowned as one of the world's most powerful superfoods. Preserving its full-bodied flavor and nutritional value, our cacao powder is made from premium organic Criollo cacao beans harvested in the warm, climatic regions of Peru. Criollo beans are one of three variations of cacao, recognizably the purest and rarest beans, hailed for their delectable chocolate flavor and aroma. These prized beans are carefully pressed into a cake-like paste and slowly ground into a fine, delicate powder at low temperatures, unveiling mouth-watering flavor and heavenly aroma. #1: T6 Testosterone Booster – EPICENTER Price: $47.49 ($0.79 / Count) Contains: 60 V-Caps AVG Review: 4.5 stars on Amazon Read More [...] PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Epicenter is also abundant in epicatechin (150 mg) that supports the muscle building process in the body. It also comes with trademarked ingredients- Laxogenin (30 mg), Longjack (Tongkat Ali, 100 mg), and the KSM-66 Ashwagandha (300 mg)- for ultimate muscle gains. Overall a very well balanced product that covers all the bases!
Potential Side Effects of Epicatechin
According to a source, due to lack of reports about side effects, any adult can safely use Epicatechin and see results. However, women should take extra careful when using and selecting supplements that epicatechin isn't combined with some test boosters.
Q: Will Epicatechins Affect My Hormone Levels?
A: No! This compound is not a steroid, prohormone, or HGH. This also means that both men and women can take these products without issue. –
Q: Is there Any Liver Toxicity?
A: No! Methylated prohormones wreaked havoc on your liver, and required cycle support products to reduce or eliminate side effects. Epicatechins have no liver toxicity. This is another advantage they have over prohormones and steroids. –
Q: Are Supplements Legal?
A: Yes. Many products were banned in Dec. 2014. Epicatechins are a 100% legal supplement and should remain so since they have no affect on hormone levels.
Studies show that Epicatechin can:
- decrease the appetite by eating dark chocolates.
- increased ability to build skeletal muscle mass from myostatin protein.
- regulates myostatin-signaling pathways, leading to lower action of myostatin inhibition that results in more muscle fiber building.
- able to increase the amount of testosterone in the blood of the study subjects.
- stimulate the pituitary gland to produce hormones from daily low doses of catechins (such as epicatechins).
- help in promoting better blood flow and in improving the cells sensitivity to insulin from Cocoa.
- build more lean muscle and helps control high blood pressure from better blood flow.
- result in better performance during training.
- enhanced performance and faster recovery.
Final Review of
Concluding thoughts go here...